Aldridge & Aldridge Law Firm
Free Initial Consultation
Elizabethtown 270-765-2000
Louisville 502-855-7584

What to do when your child goes back to school after your divorce

As the school year approaches, many Kentucky students will have a harder time going back to classes. There is the disappointment of the summer coming to an end, having harder subjects and growing one step closer towards graduation and dealing with adult problems.

There are also students going into their first school year without their parents living in the same house anymore. When the back to school anxiety combines with the stress of their parents’ separation, it can be difficult for them to focus in class. As a Kentucky parent, it is important to take these necessary steps to help your child transition into this difficult period.

Contact school staff members

It is important for your child’s teachers to be aware of your kid’s emotional situation. They need to know if there have been any behavioral changes recently or if you and your ex will have different times for picking your child up from school. The staff can offer support or recommend programs that can help your kid cope with these changes.

Communicate with the other parent

After determining the child custody rules from the proceedings, you need to work with your ex to figure out the proper schedule to see what nights your child should stay in your care. If it is a situation where the custody is nearly evenly split, it is especially important that you inform your ex of any developments, classes or extracurricular activity changes your child is going through and days where you might not make it. It may be difficult, but putting aside grudges you had during the marriage can help your child adjust to the transition better.

Be there for your child

School can be especially painful for Kentucky children with divorced parents because they have to go back to a place where multiple kids still have a happily married mother and father. You need to set aside some time and be willing to listen to your child mention any problems they are dealing with from school or the separation. Prepare them for what to expect in the school year and how to respond to others when they ask about the divorce.

Even if you are no longer with your spouse, you can still prove to your child that the separation will not put a detriment in your parental duties. If you experience any custody issues and the school year proves to be too difficult, you might need to seek professional assistance for your situation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Kentucky Justice Association
  • Kentucky Bar Association 1871 Lex Ordo Justicia
  • United States District Court Western District Of Kentucky
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Elizabethtown Office
2411 Ring Road
Suite 102
Elizabethtown, Kentucky 42701

Phone: 270-765-2000
Fax: 270-900-1368
Elizabethtown Law Office Map

Louisville Office
600 W Main Street
Suite 500
Louisville, Kentucky 40202

Map & Directions

free initial consultation

502-855-7584 Phone: